Wednesday 28 March 2012

Balloon Birthday Cup Cakes





I started creating birthday cakes six years ago for my cousins second birthday.  My skills and passion for creating birthday cakes has definitely evolved since this time.  But reflecting on the photos of that cake reminded me that not everything has to be over thought, over the top or overly time consuming!  I was 19 when I made this cake and I don’t even think I had a plan of what I was going to make.  I used packet mix cakes (yes I am human) and after baking cupcakes I just went with my creative vibes.  There were no fancy fondants, butter creams or ganache’s, templates, sketches, or weeks of processes – just me trying to make my little cousin smile.  It is in this and the tradition that followed of me making my cousin’s cake every year, which makes it one of my most favourite emazingly sweet moments. 


The method for this cake is really quite simple.  Make some cup cakes using whatever batter or method you choose.  You can be as fancy or as plain as you wanted.  These were just plain vanilla cup cakes.  After allowing them to cool I iced them with various shades of basic icing (icing sugar, water and a tiny dash of milk combined).  I made some chocolate icing and piped on the letters of Lucy’s name.  I also had a lot of ribbon lying around and sticky taped a piece to the bottom of each cupcake bringing them all together at the bottom.  This is a really cute idea which will not take up much of your time. 







No comments:

Post a Comment