Friday 9 November 2012

Recipe: Lemon Yoghurt Oatmeal Loaf


Ironically I don’t really like yoghurt at all or see its purpose other than for baking and I love baking with yoghurt! Maybe I am a little crazy but I don’t really understand eating milk sweetened with sugar, but what I do love is using it to lighten up a baked good whilst giving it a creamy texture that milk alone cannot achieve. 

I usually bake with Greek yoghurt though I have used vanilla yoghurt before for my mum’s famous Malteser brownie slice (which reminds me I must make that for you all). I prefer using Greek yoghurt for two main reasons, one is that it obviously contains less sugar than the flavoured varieties which basically equates to more goodness in the yoghurt itself and the other is that I prefer the heavier texture of the yoghurt compared to that of the more processed variety. If you really have a dislike for greek yoghurt (like my mother) than just substitute the same quantity for plain yoghurt or vanilla however make sure that you test the batter before adding the honey, sugar or sweetener.

This is so easy to whip up – another one bowl wonder and is my trending favourite morning tea snack at the moment. I alternate between adding the coconut but either way it is emazing. I have also made this recipe using almond meal however; I actually prefer this with oatmeal as I like the dense texture for this type of loaf.



Ingredients:
1 egg
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of sifted baking powder
1 ½ cups of oatmeal
½ cup coconut
1 cup of greek yoghurt
Juice and zest of one lemon



Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees fan forced;
  2. Line a loaf tin with baking paper;
  3. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon;
  4. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Tips:
Depending on the juiciness of the lemon you may need to add a little bit of water or alternatively some more oatmeal if the mixture is too runny or dry.
Also if you prefer a sweeter loaf then just add more honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment