Monday 22 October 2012

Recipe: Raw Strawberry Gelato


Spring has definitely sprung!  The hot weather is settling in and strawberries are in abundance and are ridiculously cheap at the moment, 69c a punnet! I actually feel sorry for the poor farmers! The only problem I have been having is that I have two many in the fridge!  A couple of punnets were ready to be used up and it was a very muggy day so I thought about trialing a ‘sugar free’ gelato.  Now this for me was dangerous territory as the only gelato recipe I have ever used is my Nanna’s (which she got from my mother’s Nonna) and of course that was filled with egg whites and a ton of sugar.
 
I was surprised to say that in five minutes I had delicious gelato!  The sweetness of the strawberries really does shine through even with the lemon juice, but if you aren’t a fan of lemons, or the tartness that lemons bring; you can replace that juice with orange juice/zest as it also works really well.  Also if you prefer a creamier textured gelato then you could add about two tablespoons of almond milk.  I have found that this also works really well too however I am quite happy without J  Happy Spring J




 
Ingredients:
1 punnet of strawberries  
Zest of one lemon
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of honey or stevia

Method:
1.     Blend all of the ingredients in a blender until a sorbet like texture; and
2.     Freeze overnight and serve.

Tips:
If you would like to eat this straight away just freeze the strawberries first prior to blending.
If you prefer a creamier gelato you can add two tablespoons of almond milk along with the lemon juice.

The above quantities serve about four people, or two 'emma’ serves.






No comments:

Post a Comment