Tuesday 18 September 2012

Recipe: Wheat & Sugar free Banana Bread


For those of you who have been following my blog and facebook page for a little while you may have cottoned on that the "Sugar Free July" lifestyle has predominately been maintained.  You read correctly - me without sugar and my world is still revolving!  It started with my sugar free chocolate cup cakes    for my birthday; but what I have learnt over the past few months is that you can still enjoy emazingly sweet food without the additive of processed sugar. In fact, by taking processed sugars out it enables the natural sweeteners found in produce such as fruit and honey to shine through.  Not only have I felt emazing not consuming sugar for the past few months but have really expanded my baking skills as I have been challenged to alter some of my old favourite recipes.  One of my favourite baking smells is the aroma of freshly made banana bread through the house.  This recipe, based on a my elderly neighbours famous banana bread recipe is just another example of how divine the simple flavours of banana, cinnamon and honey can be without added butter and sugar.   Though not the 'traditional' height of other banana breads - it is super super moist...And let me reassure you the aroma is just as emazingly sweet! 




Ingredients:
2 cups of almond meal
2 ripened banana's
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 tablespoon of honey (you can add more once you taste the batter)
2 eggs

Method:
  1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees (fan forced) and line a loaf tin with baking paper;
  2. Mush up the banana with a fork and then add the eggs, honey and vanilla essence;
  3. Add almond meal, cinnamon and sifted baking powder to the mixture and mix with a spoon until combined; and
  4. Bake in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes.
Tips:
Depending on the size of your banana's you may need to add an extra one or if you do not have a spare and your mixture looks a little dry you could also add some milk (I use light milk or almond milk) to make the consistency of a batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment